Next Milestone on Ambition Pathway: CVF Virtual Summit
Text in article below from the official CVF website.
The CVF Virtual Summit on November 22, 2018 is a political moment for national leaders to stand in solidarity with those most vulnerable to the growing impacts of climate change, and reinforce efforts under the Paris Agreement to limit global warming to 1.5 °C.
This entirely online event is a major opportunity for champion governments to signal a strong intent to enhance their ambition ahead of the UN Secretary-General’s Climate Summit in September 2019, and the Paris Agreement’s “Step Up” moment in 2020. The Summit is convened by the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) in its capacity as the CVF chair.
Due to increased scientific evidence indicating plausible existential risks for a number of CVF member states to be incurred in the event of failure to achieve the long-term goal of the Paris Agreement to limit the temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius, a considerable global increase in national efforts as soon as possible, would be required to offer safeguard for the survival of most vulnerable nations.
Therefore, the 2018 CVF Summit is organized as part of the Talanoa Dialogue, which serves as an agreed mechanism for the promotion of enhanced national action by all nations party to the Paris Agreement by 2020.
This Summit is an opportunity for all nations to show leadership and commit to raising their level of ambition in solidarity with the most vulnerable. Heads of State/Government and high-level representatives of other partners are invited to participate in the Summit and demonstrate intentions to raise ambition, including in relation to updating their national targets.
This zero emissions summit will take place entirely online on November 22, 2018. Leaders will join live-streamed or by pre-recorded video segments. The audience – governments, global companies, cities, states, civil society and media – will be encouraged to engage interactively in the Summit program.
The event will include “plenary” statements and “thematic discussions” on key topics each convened by leading organizations.
Learn more by visiting: http://www.virtualclimatesummit.org/about/
Starting November 21, 2018 – 8:00pm GMT / November 22 – 8:00am MHT (Majuro time)
*This agenda is subject to change – time allocation and participants will be announced soon.
Opening Video – “Rise: From One Island To Another”
Ms. Kathy Jetnil-Kijiner and Aka Niviana, CVF Summit Envoy and Marshallese Poet and Aka Niviana, Poet from Greenland
Dr. Hilda Heine, President of the Republic of Marshall Islands
Statements from Global Leaders
- HE António Guterrez, United Nations Secretary-General
- HE Patricia Espinosa, UNFCCC Executive Secretary
- Mr. Michal Kurtyka, COP24 President
- HE Ms. María Fernanda Espinosa, President of the United Nations General Assembly
CVF Summit Champion Co-Chairs
- Ms. Christiana Figueres, Convenor, Mission 2020
- Ms. Rachel Kyte, Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All
National Statements – Statements of CVF Member and Observer Countries
A series of statements from Heads of State and Heads of Government. Participating countries will be announced soon.
To maximize viewership, statements will be sequenced according to the appropriate time zones of the participating countries/individuals.
- HE Frank Bainimarama, Prime Minister of Fiji and COP23 President
- HE Tommy E. Remengeseau, President of the Republic of Palau
- HE Carlos Alvarado Quesada, President of Costa Rica
- HE Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand
- HE Mark Rutte, Prime Minister of the Netherlands
- HE Emmanuel Macron, President of the Republic of France
- HE Alain Berset, President of Switzerland
- HE Enrique Peña Nieto, President of Mexico
- HE Kersti Kaljulaid, President of Estonia
- HE Erna Solberg, Prime Minister of Norway
- HE Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of Bangladesh
Non-State and Climate Leader Messages
Leaders’ messages from intergovernmental and international non-governmental organizations and opened by:
- Ms. Mary Robinson, Chair of the Elders and Former President of Ireland
- Mr. Governor Brown, Governor of the State of California, USA
- Mr. Thabo Makgoba, Archbishop of Cape Town, (South Africa) and Global Climate Ambassador of the ACT Alliance
- Mr. Kevin Rudd, Former Prime Minister of Australia
- Mr. Al Gore, Former Vice President of the United States of America
- Ms. Laura Tuck, Vice President for Sustainable Development, World Bank
- Ms. Naoko Ishii, CEO and Chairperson, Global Environment Facility
- Ms. Jennifer Morgan, Executive Director, Greenpeace International
- Mr. Michael Bloomberg, Special Envoy of the Secretary-General on Cities and Climate Change
- Mr. Peter Thomson, UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for the Ocean
CVF Summit Outcome Declaration
This is a formal proceeding chaired by President Hilda Heine where the Summit outcome will be presented.
- Dr. Hilda Heine, President of the Republic of Marshall Islands